Maintenance for linux-lowlatency on Precise

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Sep 3 14:52:04 UTC 2012

I'm Kaj Ailomaa, member of the Ubuntu Studio dev team, and the Ubuntu
Studio kernel team.
On behalf of the Ubuntu Studio kernel team, I'd very much like to take
over maintenance for linux-lowlatency on Precise.
I'd appreciate some help to get started.

First of all, I assume kernel.ubuntu.com would be a good place to put the
git tree, so I'll need to know how I can get that done. From what I hear,
Pete Graner is no longer the person to ask about this?

In the source prepared by Luke
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/themuso/ubuntu-precise-lowlatency.git (the
currently used source), there is a short maintenance guide in the file
"MAINTENANCE":

git remote add precise git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git
git fetch precise
git fetch precise master
git rebase refs/remotes/precise/master
fakeroot debian/rules startnewrelease insertchanges
git add -u
git commit -s -m"low-latency: rebased against ubuntu-precise master"

I found that this might need some polishing.
At least it seems I need to add a "fakeroot debian/rules clean" in there.
Perhaps also do a git clean?
And how do I best handle the changelog?
No worries about ABI, or any of that?

Can't say I'm perfectly comfortable with either Ubuntu Kernel git
practice, or debian/rules (in the same context), so if someone could help
make the above workflow foolproof, so that I, or anyone else in the Ubuntu
Studio kernel team could merrily just keep updating linux-lowlatency to
the latest version, that would be awesome.
Since all we are doing here is updating to the latest Ubuntu release of
the kernel, I imagine it should be fairly easy to accomplish.

What else do I need to think about?
And is there any particular documentation that would help explain this
particular maintenance problem?