PowerPC bugs

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 7 23:21:03 UTC 2012

Hi Adam and PPC guys,

I'm going to give you the honest truth. We are now too late to sort the
issues out.

I know that some of these bugs go back a long while, some are recent. I
cannot see any help in my complaining to SABDFL over what has occurred
after the changes after A3.

I propose that PPC follows...

> [...]
> moment anyway, although it doesn't explicitly mention KMS.
> (23:15:39) phillw: what do you need from Debian for the fix to be
> proposed?
> (23:16:28) xxxx: You implied earlier that there was a patch to the driver
> and/or kernel as an option, not just the command-line change.
> (23:18:13) phillw: did you read the email? He accepts that he was
> probably mistaken on a previous fix?
> (23:18:50) phillw: Like I said, up until bug 1058641 I was happy for
> radeonfb just to be removed.  This is even though I was responsible for
> having it put back (along with aty128) into 12.04 -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/949288 . Incidentally, can I ask the kernel people was there a reason
> why CONFIG_FB_ATY was missed off.....something I probably should of done
> that at the time?!  Sorry!  I don't know anything about Mach64/Rage cards,
> particularly their current state in 12.10....will they use fbdev too now?
> Can ubuntu-x confirm?
> (23:23:32) xxxx: So, uhm. Reading through that bug, two things jump out.
> video=ofonly isn't the default, and only when setting this option do things
> go pear-shaped.
> (23:24:01) xxxx: The fix for it is, currently, a custom Xorg.conf, or a
> custom radeonfb command-line. Neither of those can be done automatically
> for the user in any sane fashion.
> (23:24:46) xxxx: If real code fixes for this can't be found in time, I
> think the people really familiar with the issue need to sit down and write
> some CLEAR release notes we can include for people about how to work around
> this.
> (23:26:54) phillw: so, we're pretty screwed? sorry to use that word. If
> we can get release notes out, I'll support them & then we can look at a fix
> as a matter of urgency... would that be okay from the guy who is liasion
> between -release and -kernel?
> (23:28:18) xxxx: I think release noting is the only sane way forward
> here, other than fixing the actual bug. We can't be writing out custom X
> config files for everyone, nor custom framebuffer inits based on the
> resolution and refresh rate they may want.
> (23:29:19) phillw: As we are too late to fix the bug, would you object to
> release notes?
> (23:29:56) phillw: well, bugs...
> (23:31:27) xxxx: I don't object to release notes, no. This is what
> they're for. In this case, though, the instructions for "how to find your
> video card and write a custom X config" and "how to switch to using
> framebuffer-only graphics, and configure your kernel command-line
> appopriately" are a bit long for a release note, so nice, clear,
> step-by-step instructions on a wiki page would be great, and then a release
> note that briefly describes the problem and points to said wi
> (23:33:23) phillw: Oh, do not worry about that! I'm also a wiki person,
> to get a set of steps in for new people will be clear 1., 2., etc...

So, can I ask that you good people get the wiki area up for the release
notes? We will go battle on in 13.04 :)

For kernel & -x, the PPC team will be looking for the fix. Thanks for
sticking with this arch :)

Regards,

Phill.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw