Reply to request of input from Intel I7 Sandybridge Ubuntu 12.04 users. Kernel Crash

J Cord j7cord at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 05:22:06 UTC 2012

To Ubuntu kernel Team March 24, 2012   ( I hope this is the correct address
to reply to, I right now don't recall where I saw the request maybe the
weekly news letter, but I must hurry now and do something else please
excuse me if this is not the correct email address.)

 Kernel panic Ubuntu 12.04 with kernels available after 3.2.0.19.

 Hardware

 i7 sandybrige intel 3000 graphic, no pci graphics card.

 16 gb ram 1333

 gigabyte z68 motherboard with adward bios.

 Slightly overclocked to 3.5 ghz

 I read or heard the kernel team was seeking input from i7 Sandybridge
users. I have not been able to load 12.04 either Ubuntu or Xubuntu after
kernel 3.2.0.19. I have done a complete check of hardware and firmware and
all test normal. All Gigabyte and Intel updates are current.

 About Tuesday or Wednesday a kernel update came down with other updates,
those updates were applied, and from that point on, up to including the
kernel built by the kernel team on this date (Mar, 24) System fails (See
attached photo ) what appears to me to be kernel panic. ( I downloaded the

3.3.13.-030213 kernel and installed today thinking that may correct the
problem. It did not.

 I was still concerned that I had a hardware problem, rechecked every last
thing I know to check, and proved hardware functioning normally. I then
recalled that Fadora 17 alpha is using 3.3 kernel downloaded and it runs
normally on the machine.

 This all leads me to believe that this is an issue you may be interested
in having feedback on.

 I am including a jpg photo of the last screen of output before lockup. (
if there is a log created at that point I have not been able to locate it).

 I am able to load the system with the older kernel ( currently at 3.2.0-17
due to the fact I reinstalled after the first crash thinking it was a
hardware failure as in a bad disk. That disk is running in a different
machine now running another OS. Therefor I used a install disk from March 1
12.04 that I had downloaded and had available, to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04,
hence the kernel 3.2.0-17. I assure you all was running normally up to and
including kernel 3.2.0-19.

 I am including a screen shot of the boot directory and the photo of the
screen output .

 Please note: I also downloaded the latest daily and lastest available
live. They both crash with the same output. If you need more specific
details on the hardware please advise.  I can supply it.

 Best Wishes and I hope somehow this helps.

 J Cord (j7cord at gmail.com

P.S. I just finished a build of an I3 2125 with the intel graphics 3000 the
live version Ubuntu 12.04 loaded to desktop just as would be expected .
Must just be an issue with I7 chip ( I am sure you already know that
though).  Best Wishes and Good Luck.