[RFC] Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Mar 19 05:59:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 10:47 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> > I appreciate your optimism, but it most certainly doesn't boot.
> > Andy and I have been going over it, and we're wondering if perhaps
> > it's the CONFIG_NEED_PER_CPU_KM bit, which is mutually exclusive
> > with CONFIG_SMP.
> >
> >>   * which kernel version (precise) that you're trying to boot
> >
> > linux-image-3.2.0-19-powerpc-smp (3.2.0-19.30) won't boot.
> > linux-image-3.2.0-18-powerpc (3.2.0-18.29) works just fine.
> >
> >>   * more details about the machine
> >
> > It's an OldWorld Beige G3 with one of the many 1GHz upgrade
> > boards that were popular long ago, sadly, I don't recall
> > which brand/model, though I suspect I'd have the same
> > problem booting if I dug up the original CPU and stuck it
> > back in.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure what more info you might want than
> > "OldWorld G3 Tower", but if there's something specific you'd
> > like me digging for, I'm all ears.

Ok, so no obvious reason why it wouldn't work, it -should- so I'll have
to debug it. I don't think I have a beige G3 at hand, tho I have a
wallstreet powerbook which is a similar HW design (grackle aka MPC106
bridge + heathrow), so I'll give that a try.

Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
initcall_debug" on the command line ?

If that doesn't work and you have the right cable, stick something in
the modem port (terminal set to 38400/8N1) and boot with "sccdbg" in
addition to the above on the command line and let me know.

I'll dig the wallstreet tomorrow, in the meantime, pls shoot me
the .config, also do you have a git tree or tarball to get the exact
source tree you're using just in case .. ?

Cheers,
Ben.