cross compilation of kernel does not need tools to be built

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 16 19:06:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> There is some reason we cannot use this second part of the fix.  This
> breaks builds somewhere else like on buildds or something.  Tim you and
> I looked at this before when someone proposed exactly this second fix;
> Loic perhaps -- can you remember?

 Sorry, I only have a vague memory of this  :-/  I seem to recall tool
 in the kernel tree that was then cross-built instead of being natively
 built, or that had to be both cross-built and natively built, or that
 would break the build or the packaging -- but I might be confusing this
 with a similar issue we had with u-boot, sorry

> As for the first change, I am not opposed to it, but would like to ask
> why you cannot use the do_tools=false override; this is what I use when
> cross building.

 In general it's best if we can arrange for dpkg-buildpackage cross
 builds to not require any special per-package setup, that way we can
 cross-build more and more of our packages; it doesn't scale to keep
 track of what special thing we do for each package in a central place.

 I didn't check the second change in hrw's patch, but the do_tools one
 is similar to what I've done in other packages to fix cross-building;
 it's often problematic because the tools might be needed both in target
 binary packages *and* during build.

--
Loïc Minier