[RFC] Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

o jordan ojordan12345 at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 09:24:59 UTC 2012

I picked up this discussion from the lubuntu-qa list.   The non-smp kernel I would say is by far the most used of the PowerPC kernels.  In fact, I would guess most dual-G4 users are unaware of the smp kernel.  When I re-wrote the PowerPC FAQ in January I added something about SMP to try and make people aware of it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#G4_Dual-processor_systems .  I've been reading the Apple forum for a year and I think the 32 bit SMP kernel has only been mentioned once?

However, if one kernel has to go then I guess the non-smp has to be the one.  Loosing support of a processor is far worse than a 1-2% hit.  Even if there are probably very few dual-G4 users.  I know other PowerPC users disagree with me on this https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg00454.html .

Colin, if you are messing around with the kernels on the installer can you look into a problem with the vmlinux and initrd symbollic links being placed in the root directory instead of /boot?  I'll file a proper bug on it when I have all the info to hand, but it is only a problem with the desktop cds.  Thanks

Micah, I'll test a xubuntu desktop cd.  I'm resisting dropping down to lubuntu, but 12.04 Ubuntu is too heavy for my iBook now (10.04 is great).  For the moment I'm installing xubuntu via a cli start.

This is the current list of outstanding issues with 12.04 on PowerPC that I've come across: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues#A12.04_Precise_Pangolin .  Leann fixed a problem with nvram - Thanks!  There is one outstanding kernel issue regarding the ATI framebuffers.  Hopefully you can understand my ramble!  Cheers

Adam

On 03/14/2012 12:00 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:52:01AM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>> The Ubuntu Kernel Team has been evaluating some of the current
>> maintenance burdens for the upcoming Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS release.
>> One area which would reduce the maintenance costs would be to drop the
>> non-smp PowerPC kernel flavor.  There are currently three PowerPC
>> flavors:
> Making the associated installer changes shouldn't be a big deal, but I
> suggest you ask the Xubuntu and Lubuntu communities about this since a
> good proportion of powerpc users are there.

Xubuntu stopped producing PowerPC images due to a lack of testers.  If
there's interest in these, and people committed to testing, they could
be reinstated.

Thanks,
Micah