[RFC] Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 14 17:00:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:52:01AM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> The Ubuntu Kernel Team has been evaluating some of the current
> maintenance burdens for the upcoming Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS release.
> One area which would reduce the maintenance costs would be to drop the
> non-smp PowerPC kernel flavor.  There are currently three PowerPC
> flavors:

Making the associated installer changes shouldn't be a big deal, but I
suggest you ask the Xubuntu and Lubuntu communities about this since a
good proportion of powerpc users are there.

>  * non-smp (linux-image-powerpc)
>  * smp (linux-image-powerpc-smp)
>  * smp-64 (linux-image-powerpc64-smp)

It's not clear to me whether it would make more sense to drop -powerpc
or -powerpc-smp.  My memory is that -powerpc-smp was significantly less
used and would be a better candidate for removal.  Do you have notes on
which hardware is covered by -powerpc-smp that can't use -powerpc64-smp?