[RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

Frank Rowand frank.rowand at am.sony.com
Fri Jul 13 23:07:36 UTC 2012

On 07/13/12 14:55, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:50:25PM +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
>
>  > But just removing all the certainly unused macros probably wouldn't have
>  > made a noticeable difference to anyone using those defconfig files
>  > anyway.
>
> My point is that I don't think there's many people actually using them.
> (maybe more on the niche platforms, but x86[64] ? I'm sceptical they're used at all)

I'm one of those people who use default configs.  I build a given kernel version for
many different embedded boards and expect the default config to work for them.  It
makes life much easier.

I also share Linus' pain when building for my host x86 system and try to
remove the cruft from my distro config.

-Frank