kworker eating up cpu time when doing dd on 3.2.0 kernels

Christian Brandes christian.brandes at forschungsgruppe.de
Mon Jan 30 13:06:45 UTC 2012

Hi Andy,

thanks for your first try to explain.

But on 3.0.0-13-generic my "dd" command makes about 75 MByte/s all the time.
On 3.2.0-10-generic it is 98 MByte/s until the cache is filled up and kworker captures my CPU. Then it continues at about 5MByte/s.

It is definitely not just that the load has moved. It is actually multiples higer.

Could you just try to reproduce that on a precise system?

Thanks!

Best regards
Christian