[CFT] RC6 Enabled by Default on Sandy Bridge

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Fri Feb 24 21:57:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 21:21 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 13:07 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> [...]
> > If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and willing to test
> > and provide feedback, please refer to our PowerManagementRC6 wiki for
> > detailed instructions [3].  Additionally, instructions for reporting any
> > issues with RC6 enabled are also noted on the wiki.  We would really
> > appreciate any testing and feedback users are able to provide.
>
> I first want to thank everyone who has already tested and provided their
> feedback.  It is very much appreciated.  There has however been some
> recent developments with the current RC6 patch which originated this
> call for testing.  An adjustment has been made to that original patch:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-February/015319.html
>
> We're hoping this fix resolves the remaining issues when RC6 is enabled
> by default.  A test kernel has already been built and posted to the RC6
> bugs noted in the PowerManagementRC6 wiki [3].
>
> For anyone else who was interested in testing, and wants to re-test, I
> ask that you please hold off until we are able to upload this additional
> fix.  I hope to get a Beta Freeze exception for this and intend follow
> up with the Release Team accordingly.  I will respond to this email once
> we have an official kernel in the archive ready for additional testing.

We have uploaded a new Ubuntu kernel, v3.2.0-17.27, which contains the
latest RC6 fix [4].  For anyone who tested previously, if you would be
willing to re-test with this newer kernel, that would be great.  I'd
especially like to request that anyone who saw issues with RC6 when
testing earlier to please re-test.

Thanks again for all of the testing effort and feedback so far.  I do
apologize for the additional testing requests being made, but it is very
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Leann Ogasawara

[4] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/3.2.0-17.27