Ubuntu Kernel

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Apr 5 16:41:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 06:53 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 02:53 PM, Tiago Hillebrandt wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I like to request an explanation involving differences between kernel
> > Ubuntu and Linux branch kernel. Here in Brazil have many users
> > questioning this and would be great if we would have an detailedoverview
> > from Kernel Team.Can anyone response it?I would like to publish the
> > answer on Ubuntu-BR-SC blog (www.ubuntubrsc.com), a popular Ubuntu
> > Brazilian blog.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > *Tiago Hillebrandt*
> > Ubuntu Member
> > Ubuntu Brazilian Community Council Member
> > Ubuntu-BR-SC LoCo Team Leader
> > Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators Team Leader
> > Blog: http://tiagohillebrandt.eti.br
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiagoscd
> > Launchpad: http://launchpad.net/people/tiagohillebrandt
> > Google Talk: tiagohillebrandt at gmail.com
> >

> There are likely better ways to do it, but here is a script that shows
> how I would look at all of the commits that are not in the mainline tree
> (and are also not in the debian* or ubuntu directories)
>
> git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git
> cd ubuntu-precise
> ./delta.sh

Hi Tiago,

Along with the above script from Tim, I've also put together a wiki to
try and describe in a general manner the sets of changes we carry which
differentiate the Ubuntu kernel from the upstream Linux kernel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ/UbuntuDelta

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything.
Also, if anyone else on the team reviews the above, feel free to edit if
I've missed anything.  I also took the liberty to reference it from the
main Kernel/FAQ page.

Thanks,
Leann