[RFC] Dropping non-smp 32bit powerpc as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Nov 10 19:07:17 UTC 2011

Hi Luke and Jeremy,

As part of our Kernel Version and Flavors UDS-P session [1] we discussed
dropping the non-smp 32-bit powerpc flavor.  The reasoning is that we
want to reduce the number of flavors we are carrying for the LTS release
so that the maintenance burden over the next 5 years is at a minimum.
We would still plan to support the powerpc64 and powerpc64-smp flavors.
We wanted to get feedback from the both of you before we carried through
with dropping this flavor.

Jeremy, we were under the impression that you had previously done some
investigation and confirmed that it was no longer necessary to carry the
non-smp 32-bit powerpc flavor.  Is this correct?

Luke, having previously been an active ports kernel maintainer, do you
see any major issues if we were to drop the non-smp 32-bit powerpc
flavor?

If we are to drop this flavor, we'd like to do so by the Alpha-1
milestone.

Thanks in advance,
Leann

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors