Xen performance kernel patches backported to 3.2 for Precise

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Wed Nov 30 13:45:45 UTC 2011

On 30.11.2011 12:38, Mike McClurg wrote:
> Hello Kernel Team,
>
> I have just created bug report #898112 [1]. This bug is related to a
> kernel issue which negatively affects Xen performance on Ubuntu 11.04
> and later. This issue is caused by the kernel incorrectly reporting the
> cpufreq capabilities of the CPU to Xen, which prevents the hypervisor
> from setting the CPU to the maximum frequency scaling.
>
> A blog post describing the bug in detail can be found here [2]. The
> patch series, which has been backported to 3.2 (and I believe 3.0 as
> well) can be found here [3].
>
> I ask the kernel team to consider including the 3.2 backport of this
> branch in the Precise kernel, and possibly the Oneiric kernel as well,
> if this is possible. Please feel free to contact me or Konrad (the patch
> author) with any questions. Thanks,
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

if Konrad would/will manage to upstream those changes into 3.2, those would be
picked up automatically. Just looking at the number of patches I would be quite
careful to pick them from a non-upstream branch, even more because those all
touch the acpi subsystem. And even being useful in Xen does not guarantee there
is no side effect.
I will look at them, but still would be careful and cannot make any promise
right now.

Thanks,
Stefan