Minutes from the Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting, 2011-11-22

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Tue Nov 22 17:44:07 UTC 2011

= Meeting Minutes =
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/22/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt
http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam

== Agenda ==
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 22 Nov, 2011

=== ARM Status  ===
Precise/omap4: first kernel upload done (3.0.0-1401.2) - still based on
Oneiric source code but the configuration has been synced with master.
Misc: besides the usual SRU kernels, there's nothing else to report.

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs  ===
==== precise nominated bugs ====
 * 32 linux kernel bugs (up 12)
==== Ubuntu precise-alpha-1 bugs ====
 * 1 linux kernel bugs (up 1)
==== <series>-updates bugs ====
 * 0 precise linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 10 oneiric linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 10 natty linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 3 maverick linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 7 lucid linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
=== Incoming Bugs ===
 * 8 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 635 oneiric bugs (down 5)
 * 1677 natty bugs (down 3)
 * 1099 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 979 lucid bugs (down 4)
 * 43 hardy bugs (down 3)
=== Regressions ===
==== regression-update bugs ====
 * 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 7 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
 * 19 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 40 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 76 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-release bugs ====
 * 1 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 61 oneiric bugs (up 6)
 * 434 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 236 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 208 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 2 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-proposed bugs ====
 * 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 1 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
 * 4 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 2 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)

=== Milestone Targeted Work Items  ===
|| apw       || hardware-p-kernel-boot                || 3 work items ||
||           || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 1 work item  ||
||           || foundations-p-ipv6                    || 1 work item  ||
||           || desktop-o-xorg-stakeholders-request   || 1 work item  ||
|| cking     || hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors || 1 work item  ||
||           || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 1 work item  ||
|| ogasawara || hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors || 1 work item  ||
||           || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 2 work items ||
|| sforshee  || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 1 work item  ||
|| smb       || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 1 work item  ||
|| tgardner  || hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors || 1 work item  ||
||           || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review        || 1 work item  ||

If your name is in the above table, please review your Alpha-1 work
items and either get them closed or push them out to the next milestone.
Remember, Alpha-1 is Thurs Dec 1.

We have uploaded the 3.2.0-1.3 Ubuntu kernel which was based on the
upstream v3.2-rc2 kernel.  Please install and test on any kit you have.
Feedback is appreciated.  We've already discovered breakage with the wl
DKMS package as well as some suspend/resume and shutdown issues on some
Intel Atom kit.  If there are any patches which need to land for
Alpha-1, submit them now.

Important Upcoming Dates:
 * Thurs Dec 1 - Alpha 1 (~ 1 week)

=== CVE Metrics ===
Currently open CVEs for each supported branch:

|| Package                                  || Open      ||
||                                          ||           ||
|| linux Hardy                              ||    8      ||
|| linux Lucid                              ||    5      ||
|| linux Maverick                           ||    5 (-1) ||
|| linux Natty                              ||    5 (-1) ||
|| linux Oneiric                            ||    4      ||
|| linux Precise                            ||    4      ||
|| linux-ec2 Lucid                          ||    5      ||
|| linux-fsl-imx51 Lucid                    ||    5      ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Lucid                     ||    5      ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Maverick                  ||    5      ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Maverick                  ||    5 (-2) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Natty                     ||    6      ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Oneiric                   ||    4      ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Precise                   ||    4      ||
|| linux-lts-backport-maverick Lucid        ||    5 (-1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-natty Lucid           ||    5 (-1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-oneiric Lucid         ||    4      ||

This week four new CVEs were added to the list.  Progress remains slow
and steady, overall we finish the week with about the same number of
outstanding CVEs.  One of the new CVEs currently awaits an upstream fix.

Oneiric/Natty/Maverick/Lucid/Hardy  ===
Last week saw the verification and testing of the current -proposed
updates. Here is the status for the main kernels, until yesterday
(21/11):

Hardy - 2.6.24-30.96 update was tested (QA), and passed. It's now
released on -security/-updates

Lucid - All reporters verified the bugs fixed by 2.6.32-36.79 update.
QA finished working on it, with no problems found. It's ongoing
Certification testing right now, the update will be released once it
finishes and if no problems are found.

Maverick - 2.6.35-31.62 update passed QA, and is now released to
-security/-updates.

Natty - The current update in progress (2.6.38-13.52) was in
verification for all of the last week. On Monday, we got test results
from the last remaining bug to be verified. The update is now waiting
QA/Certification testing to be released.

Oneiric - 3.0.0-13.22 was released to -security/-updates. A new
update is being prepared this week, since Oneiric is with 1 week of
offset
on the 3 weeks cadence, related to the other updates (and we allow this
on the latest stable kernel). New natty/maverick/lucid/hardy updates
will only be prepared next week.

Besides this, on the derivative and backports packages, we got the
following activity:
linux-fsl-imx51 (2.6.31-612.30) - testing done and update released
linux-ec2 (2.6.32-340.40) - packages were prepared and tested. With no
problems found with QA, it's now officially released.
linux-ti-omap4 (2.6.35-903.27) - QA found some failures, now running QRT
tests (not regressions). Paolo is looking at it.
linux-mvl-dove (2.6.32-420.38) - passed QA, released
linux-lts-backport-maverick (2.6.35-31.62~lucid1) - released from
verification, waiting now for QA
linux-ti-omap4 (2.6.38-1209.17) - Verification and QA done, waiting to
be copied to -security/-updates
linux-lts-backport-natty (2.6.38-13.52~lucid1) - released from
verification, waiting now for QA
linux-ti-omap4 (3.0.0-1206.12) - Released
linux-lts-backport-oneiric (3.0.0-13.22~lucid1) - Waiting for QA to be
released.

For more details, current opened tracking bugs can be seen at
http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kernel-sru-workflow.html
For SRUs, SRU report is a good source of information:
http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/sru-report.html

=== Open Discussion or Questions? Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
(cking)
I've been doing some power management work, is this required to have a
status update in this meeting?
I think it's appropriate to mention it here
probabally it shoudl if it is a series goal
Mainly developing tools and figuring out a test framework, tests and
testing plan:
* vmstat/powertop like power monitoring tool:
        git://kernel.ubuntu.com/cking/powerstat.git
        https://launchpad.net/~colin-king/+archive/powermanagement
* Got Fluke meter configured and reading data with instrument-lib +
  sort out sampling timings, fix a few minor bugs, etc.+
* Wrote tools to parse data logs and graph results (in instrument-lib)
* First cut of automated tests + tools to do multiple runs of tests,
gather
  and analyse data (averages, std.dev.)
        git://kernel.ubuntu.com/cking/fluke-testing.git
* Survey various power saving options, start writing tests
* Currently looking at Atom N450 power consumption for i386, i386-pae,
amd64
  and also general i386 vs amd64 performance differences.
[ACTION] ogasawara add cking power management item to agenda