linux-crashdump not working on custom-compiled kernel

Christoph Paasch christoph.paasch at uclouvain.be
Wed Nov 16 20:23:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

I tried to use linux-crashdump on a custom kernel, based on 3.0.9.

On the default-kernel from the ubuntu-repos it works, if I trigger a
crash with
echo "c" > /proc/sysrq-trigger

To make it work I had to copy the makedumpfile-binaries as described in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/710733/comments/15

However, if I try it on my custom kernel, it doesn't works.
linux-crashdump doesn't reboot the kernel and doesn't create
/var/crash/vmcore

I also ported my modifications to the kernel from
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-oneiric.git
But still not working.

My grub seems to be correct:
linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.6+
root=UUID=f86b03ff-e7eb-4ba4-9009-1ec1b5856035 ro
crashkernel=384M-2G:64M,2G-:128M

Does linux-crashdump doesn't work on custom kernels?
What can I do to make it work on my kernel?

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

--
Christoph Paasch