Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

Oliver Grawert ogra at grawert.net
Thu Nov 10 15:56:29 UTC 2011

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 10.11.2011, 08:14 -0700 schrieb Tim Gardner:
> As far as I can tell there hasn't been a mass produced non-PAE cpu in
> over 5 years that we (as a distro) care about. The consumer grade
> electronics lifecycle is _well_ below 5 years. Furthermore, the distro
> focus has been desktop with high performance 3D graphics and servers.
> Where do non-PAE CPUs fit in that world? There are better distro choices
> to fill that niche.
thin clients ,even modern ones you can buy new today, are usually having
weird specs here ... and ubuntu is the leading distro in modern LTSP
(linux terminal server) deployments (talking about niches) ...

if any possible keep a backwards compatible kernel in universe so ltsp
users can make use of it for the LTS ... i think its a valid move to
drop it next cycle and point them to a 5 year supported release for
their needs.

ciao
	oli