New jack detection interface for HDA in kernel 3.3 - can we backport it?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 10 10:04:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

Have a look at the test/hda-jack branch as proposed by Takashi here [1].
While that branch is not ready for merging yet, something similar is
very likely to land in 3.3. My question is if those six patches would be
possible to backport into the Precise kernel - of course once they are
tested enough to make it into Takashi's main branch?

Brief motivation for backporting: They contain a new implementation and
a new kernel interface for jack detection, as well as adding more jacks
(i e fixing it up for a lot of users!). Merging it would make it easier
for us to stay in sync with PulseAudio's upstream as well, as PA won't
merge my existing jack detection stuff now that there's a new interface
to become available soon. We can also drop the udev patch that upstream
wouldn't merge for the same reason.

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/test/hda-jack

--