UDS Session "Integrating LTTng Tracer in Ubuntu"

Julien Desfossez ju at klipix.org
Wed May 4 14:28:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

Probably most of you are aware of LTTng since it is already integrated
in Linaro's kernel, in this session I will focus on the new LTTng
patchset which has the following characteristics :

1) The size of the kernel patchset has been shrinked for Linux
distributions by removing all LTTng-specific instrumentation from the tree.

2) The lttng-modules package now implements an ABI based on anonymous
file descriptors (inspired from perf) rather than the full-blown VFS
tree the previous LTTng versions were implementing.

3) lttng-modules now exports trace data and metadata in the CTF (Common
Trace Format).

4) lttng-modules now uses the Generic Ring Buffer Library.

LTTng will probably not enter in the Oneiric Ubuntu kernel, but our
target is to upstream most of our patches before the next LTS.

The purpose of this session is :
- to show the benefit developers and sysadmins have with LTTng
kernel and userspace tracers for debugging and QA;
- to highlight the main differences between the current stable LTTng and
this new patchset and the new tools associated with it;
- to find a way to test LTTng in Oneiric to have something rocking in
the next LTS.

The session will be held in room Jozsef on Wednesday 11th between 12:00
and 13:00, the blueprint associated is here :
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-o-lttng

Thanks,

Julien