Linux Kernel 2.6.39.1 Stable

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Jun 7 13:55:06 UTC 2011

On 07.06.2011 10:52, luciany wrote:

> Don't want to polemic; please just follow my scenario:
> - installed Natty and had often X freezing
> - followed the (ubuntu community) recommendation and updated to 2.6.39.0 for
> Natty (from kernel PPA) - as a intermediate solution before the 2.6.39
> stable would come out - I thought.
> - 2.6.39.1 stable appeared, but surprise it's not for natty.

Lucian,

I can understand the problem. I just wanted to point out the implications. See
from my side, I don't know exactly what PPA you refer to. Natty itself was
released with 2.6.38, so any official updates to Natty will follow the 2.6.38.y
stable updates.

There is the mainline builds site which I was pointing you to. This contains
upstream kernels and those are a good tool to find out whether things are fixed
in newer kernels. But there are two issues with them. First, you cannot be sure
whether all of the user-space from a previous release works well (most namely X)
and second, as these are raw upstream kernels, you don't get additional drivers
that are only in the Ubuntu kernel (though luckily that number is not very
high). So while its is good for testing, you should always be aware of potential
problems. Those don't need to happen, but they can.

-Stefan