new macbook air 4,2: trackpad support

Joshua Dillon jvdillon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:38:38 UTC 2011

Hi all.  I am having trouble figuring out where to assign my bug to
and haven't had luck figuring this out from the forums. Apologies if
this isn't the best place to ask--I have no experience with brand-new
hardware and am not quite sure how to proceed.  (Usually can find some
kludge to get along but in this case I seem to have new-to-everyone
hardware.)

I have the new 2011 macbook air 13" ("MacBookAir4,2") and everything
works out-of-the-box except for the 2nd gen sandybridge intel video
(which has a bug filed by Robert Hooker; cf. postscript) and the
multitouch trackpad.

The trackpad works for moving mouse cursor and primary click but it
doesn't register in the xorg log file as a multitouch device (hence no
gestures or most importantly right-click).  I have inserted the most
recent bcm5974 module and tried out two different xorg drivers
"xf86-input-mtrack" and "xf86-input-multitouch" but I believe they
need kernel support to work.

I believe the bcm5974 driver is the likeliest candidate to provide
support for this apparently new trackpad.

Should I file a request that bcm5974 support the MacBookAir4,2
trackpad?  Is there a more appropriate driver to file it against?

Thanks,

Josh

PS I am not at the MBA now so I cannot share any more detailed log
dumps but here is what I (dfacto) have already posted:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11087393&postcount=13
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11093861&postcount=143

Here are some more log dumps by Sarvatt:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11088281&postcount=26

--
Joshua V. Dillon
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology