Need some kernel help...

Seth Forshee seth.forshee at canonical.com
Thu Jul 7 13:39:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 01:54:16PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 01:45 PM, Scott Bambrough wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >I did an upgrade from Maverick to Natty on the weekend and ran into a
> >glitch with HDMI video display.  I filed the following bug if you are
> >interested:
> >
> >https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/805416
> >
> >I think it is a kernel issue, related to bad EDID data being returned to
> >the DRM subsystem.  In particular I think the problem is caused by HDMI
> >audio being enabled.

Can you explain what is leading you to conclude that this is due to a
bad EDID and/or HDMI audio? I'm not all that knowledgable in this area,
but at a glance I don't see anything on the bug that indicates an
invalid EDID -- the kernel isn't screaming about bad checksums, and the
monitor data in Xorg.log looks sane.

> >I was looking through the Intel i915 driver to see if I can disable
> >audio easily.  It looks like there is a way to disable it via a
> >kernel/module command line option, but I can't seem to figure out how or
> >what to set.  Is there anyone in your group who might be able to point
> >me in the right direction?

Are you referring to the force_audio property? That's the only thing I'm
seeing that looks related. But it looks like the purpose of that is to
force HDMI audio to be enabled regardless of what's in the EDID.

Seth