Hardy SRU, xen unified block-device I/O interface back end can orphan devices, CVE-2010-3699

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Thu Jan 27 18:24:45 UTC 2011

On 01/27/2011 08:43 AM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Here is the patch which I believe addresses the resource allocation/deallocation issue of concern in CVE-2010-3699. I've attached the pull request and native patch. Given the nature of Hardy custom binary patches, I've also attached the flattened patch which is a bit easier to read. If you're still having problems groking the changes, then you can prepare a flattened xen tree thusly:
>
> git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/rtg/ubuntu-hardy.git
> cd ubuntu-hardy
> git checkout -b CVE-2010-3699 remotes/origin/CVE-2010-3699
> fakeroot debian/rules clean custom-prepare-xen
>
> The flattened tree will be in debian/build/custom-source-xen
>
> I was never able to definitively reproduce the vulnerability. I suspect it requires environments with more block and network devices than I am able to reproduce. However, I've instrumented a debug version of this patch and have verified that all affected code paths have been exercized. Therefore I believe that I have at least not introduced any regressions.

well I need to do a reinstall of my xen box so I haven't tested this yet, but I
suspect it will turn out the same as Stephan's testing.

I've run through checking against the original patch, and it looks good to me.
I don't see this regressing, so

Acked-by: John Johansen <john.johansen at canonical.com>