SRU verification exception request

Steve Magoun steve.magoun at canonical.com
Fri Jan 21 15:54:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'd like to request an SRU verification exception for

The patch for this bug enables headphone jack sense in 10.10 on the Thinkpad
Edge 13.

Regression potential:
Low. This patch performs targeted hardware enablement on a specific machine
from a single vendor. It is not expected to affect any other hardware.

I've personally tested this patch on an Edge 13 with a kernel built from the
following kernel tree, and it fixes the issue in bug 685015. I know of no
side effects:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=hwe/oem-master.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/oem/kernel/sutton/02

Canonical's OEM QA organization has also verified that the patch is
functional and no known side effects.

Due to some unusual circumstances beyond my control, I no longer have access
to any Edge 13 hardware and I'm unable to verify that the patch in the
-proposed kernel is functional. Chris van Hoof and I have contacted several
people whom we know have Edge 13 hardware in hopes that they'd be able to
verify the fix for us, but we've not had any response.

I realize this is an unusual request, and I appreciate your help. I will
look into ways of avoiding this unusual situation in the future - I think
we're all in agreement this should not develop into a pattern.

Thanks,
Steve Magoun
Engineering Manager, Canonical