Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 2011-01-04

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Jan 4 18:31:22 UTC 2011

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/01/04/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
<<BR>>
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 04 Jan, 2011|20110104 Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
It looks like we will start supplying an omap3 natty kernel.

=== Release Metrics  ===
Release Meeting Bugs (6 bugs, 14 Blueprints)
==== Alpha 2 Milestoned Bugs (29 across all packages (up 1)) ====
  * 1 linux kernel bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Release Targeted Bugs (144 across all packages (up 11)) ====
  * 12 linux kernel bugs (up 1)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Milestoned Features ====
  * 5 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)
==== Maverick Updates Bugs ====
  * 56 Linux Bugs (up 2)
==== Lucid Updates Bugs ====
  * 97 Linux Bugs (down 14)
==== Bugs with Patches Attached:145 (up 3) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]
  * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]

=== Blueprints: Natty Bug Handling  ===
Nothing to report.

=== Blueprints: Kernel Configuration Review  ===
PV on HVM support (XEN_PCI_PLATFORMDEV) testing is still pending for natty-alpha-2.  The only other remaining action here currently is to report on the final config at beta time, this is waiting on the final kernel version.

=== Blueprints: Enhancements to the firmware test suite  ===
Nothing to report

=== Blueprints: Handling of Deviations from Standard Kernels  ===
I got a little farther with the tool by now. Detection seems to work. The output needs a bit of polish still.

===  Blueprints: Review of the Stable Maintenance Process (sconklin / bjf) ===
The new cadence is working pretty well, but we continue to address issues as they arise. These mostly have to do with
insuring adequate communication between various teams. I'm concerned that thw two-week cycle may not leave us enough
time for exceptions and tools development, and we will be discussing this at the platform rally next week.
We're planning to begin a cycle by uploading new kernels this Friday, which will put us in verification phase during
the rally.

We found this bug before the holidays:
and it wasn't being worked upon since then, but I have seen that now apw is on it.
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
That one is looking like it may be an issue with upstart, see comment #7.
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
I will try this week with the latest ISOs, although it seems it is still there.

=== Blueprints: Ubuntu Kernel Delta Review  ===
15 of the 19 personal patch reviews are now done.  All of the ubuntu drivers are now updated and reviewed.  Some work remains on compcache which is now superceeded by zram in staging, but some userspace work is required to switch to it.

=== Blueprints: Kernel Version and Flavours  ===
We are still working to determine how to provide omap3 kernels, testing is ongoing of a master based kernel.

Prototype is in progress, but isn't up yet.  It should be working in a day or two.  I started messing with putting the long names in the header but switched to xattrs due to the factors detailed below.
  * Storing long names in meta data is problematic for hardlinks - this can be handled somewhat by either allowing a single longname or by allowing multiple longnames as space allows fail over to storing long names in header
  * long directory names - problematic.  There is no header for directories
  * long symlink names - problematic.
  * require update of header (reencryption) on rename fail over to storing long names in xattrs
  * problematic for filesystems that don't support xattrs
  * leaks fact that long name is present unless all files are given longname xattr
  * requires update of xattr (reencryption) on rename
Combine current FNEK names and longnames requires encoding information to that a given name was long and stored differently, this leaks some information about the filename.  This leak provides more information than the xattr on the file, in that it
provides information on which dentry is long when a file has multiple names.

The main distro kernel is now at 2.6.37-11.25 (v2.6.37-rc7 based).  v2.6.37-rc8 has already released and we are expecting v2.6.37-final shortly, we are planning one more upload before the Rally.

===  Security & bugfix kernels - Maverick/Lucid/Karmic/Hardy/Dapper (sconklin / bjf) ===
  || Package                                   || Upd/Sec              || Proposed             ||  TiP || Verified ||
  ||                                           ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||
  || dapper   linux                            || 2.6.15.56            || 2.6.15.56            ||    0 ||        0 ||
  ||                                           ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||
  || karmic   linux-ec2                        || 2.6.31-307.22        || 2.6.31-307.23        ||    0 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux                            || 2.6.31-22.69         || 2.6.31-22.70         ||    0 ||        0 ||
  ||                                           ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||
  || lucid    linux                            || 2.6.32.27.49         || 2.6.32.27.49         ||    0 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick || 2.6.35.22.34         || 2.6.35.23.35         ||    0 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux-lts-backport-maverick      || 2.6.35-22.34~lucid1  || 2.6.35-23.41~lucid1  ||    0 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux-firmware                   || 1.34.1               || 1.34.2               ||    1 ||        0 ||
  ||                                           ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||
  || maverick linux                            || 2.6.35-24.42         || 2.6.35-903.20        ||    0 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux-ti-omap4                   || 2.6.35-903.19        || 2.6.35-903.20        ||    1 ||        0 ||
  || ---      linux-meta                       || 2.6.35.24.28         || 2.6.35.24.29         ||    3 ||        1 ||
  || ---      linux-firmware                   ||                      || 1.38.2               ||    2 ||        0 ||
  ||                                           ||                      ||                      ||      ||          ||

=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions  ===
Incoming Bugs
  57 Natty Bugs (up 19)
  1123 Maverick Bugs (down 4)
  1045 Lucid Bugs (down 51)
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-update ====
   * 25 maverick bugs (down 1)
   * 75 lucid bugs (down 1)
   * 6 karmic bugs (no change)
   * 0 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-release ====
   * 188 maverick bugs (up 11)
   * 195 lucid bugs (down 3)
   * 39 karmic bugs (down 1)
   * 2 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-proposed ====
   * 13 maverick bugs (no change)
   * 3 lucid bugs (no change)
   * 1 karmic bug (no change)

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report  ===
The next bug day will be next week. As we are just returning from the holiday's and we are winding back up,
I'd like to focus on bugs in the new state and getting them moved in the appropriate direction. I'll send
the information out later today or tomorrow.

=== Triage Status  ===
I am continuing testing on the script that replaces one tag with another. I should have it finished this week.

=== Open Discussion or Questions: ===
Nothing new.
--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com