[RFC, PATCH 0/2] UBUNTU: lucid: allow printchanges to accept varying release commit messages

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Feb 28 13:14:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 08:20:39AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 07:45 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> >Hi Tim,
> >
> >>Jeremy - the second patch looks fine. As for the first patch, why not
> >>just add branch customizations to a branch specific file that already
> >>exists, e.g., debian/debian.env ?
> >
> >When we're starting a new branch, we create a new debian.<project>, and don't
> >need to touch anything else in the tree (except for debian.env, but more about
> >that below). So, it'd be nice to contain the necessary variable within that
> >branch-specific config.
> >
> >debian.env needs to be parseable as shell, and isn't directly sourced into the
> >make infrastructure at present. I'd like to avoid doing this, as it could
> >potentially contain non-make syntax. For setting $(DEBIAN), we currently parse
> >it with awk - we can't do the same for baseCommitRegex, which requires other
> >make vars to be set.
> >
> >However, I'm happy to use an existing file if that's the preferred solution.
> >In this case, how about debian/rules.d/0-common-vars.mk ?
> >

> OK, thats a good point about debian/debian.env. I'm fine with a
> branch specific file, which will also avoid conflicts in
> debian/rules.d/0-common-vars.mk.
>
> Thoughts Andy ?

If its branch specific, that seems appropriate that it would be a
separate file indeed.  Though if they use a slightly different format
they might be able to pull into the current pattern, which basically
allows anything you like between the UBUNTU: and the Ubuntu-<version>.

No particular objection to the series overall.  Have fun getting it back
to Lucid though :).

-apw