[RFC, PATCH 0/2] UBUNTU: lucid: allow printchanges to accept varying release commit messages

Jeremy Kerr jeremy.kerr at canonical.com
Wed Feb 23 02:45:05 UTC 2011

Hi Tim,

> Jeremy - the second patch looks fine. As for the first patch, why not
> just add branch customizations to a branch specific file that already
> exists, e.g., debian/debian.env ?

When we're starting a new branch, we create a new debian.<project>, and don't
need to touch anything else in the tree (except for debian.env, but more about
that below). So, it'd be nice to contain the necessary variable within that
branch-specific config.

debian.env needs to be parseable as shell, and isn't directly sourced into the
make infrastructure at present. I'd like to avoid doing this, as it could
potentially contain non-make syntax. For setting $(DEBIAN), we currently parse
it with awk - we can't do the same for baseCommitRegex, which requires other
make vars to be set.

However, I'm happy to use an existing file if that's the preferred solution.
In this case, how about debian/rules.d/0-common-vars.mk ?

Cheers,

Jeremy