Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at canonical.com
Wed Feb 9 22:23:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Bryan Wu wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 8, 2011, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On 02/07/2011 12:18 PM, Dechesne, Nicolas wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Tim Gardner<tim.gardner at canonical.com>wrote:
> >

> > Do you think this will suffice?
> >

> > that is fine with me. i think we cover all the use case we need for now.
> >

> > Uploaded linux-ti-omap4_2.6.38-1200.1 to https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-team/+archive/ppa based on Natty master using Sebastien's config (plus a couple of tweaks).
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-natty.git ti-omap4-dev
> >

> Thanks guys, is that possible merge omap and omap4 together in Natty
> 38 kernel? The default config of mainline supports a single binary
> kernel for both omap3 and omap4.

Beware.  The omap2plus configuration produces a buggy kernel with the
potential to corrupt your data, especially when run on an SMP target.
A bunch of patches are required to fix this.  Since this set of patches
is too large for -rc5, the final 2.6.38 will make the kernel non
bootable if SMP support is added to the mix.  But if you stick only to
ARMv7 targets and don't configure in ARMv6 support then it will be fine.

Nicolas