Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 7 18:55:18 UTC 2011

hi,
Am Montag, den 07.02.2011, 17:48 +0100 schrieb Dechesne, Nicolas:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Jan, Sebastien <s-jan at ti.com> wrote:
>
>         Right, the video outputs are not supported yet with this .38
>         kernel,
>         so we will need to have both packages available for some weeks
>         (2.6.35
>         based with video support and 2.6.38), using the 2.6.35 one for
>         the
>         natty images now, and can switch to .38 when with have some
>         video
>         support with it.
>         The idea is to start providing a 2.6.38 kernel package now to
>         enable
>         testing with it.
>

> Tim, in fact during the call oliver/ricardo mentioned that they would
> like to get started at least with a minimal console image based on .38
> kernel. then we need to keep the current .35 based branch for the
> linux-image-2.6.35-xxx-omap4 package, and we need to make sure that
> linux-image-omap4 pulls this one, but we need a new
> linux-image-2.6.38-xxx-omap4 package with this minimal kernel so that
> anyone who wants a min console can use it. once we have display
> support we can update linux-image-omap4 to depend on the new one.
>
> in the mean time we will need 2 branches in the git tree, ti-omap4-old
> (for the .35), and ti-omap4 for the new version.

just for clarification, we *need* a working graphics driver for image
builds and testing, there is no way around it, so .35 needs to stay in
the archive until we have a working graphics driver in .38....

additionally the headless ubuntu image is a feature goal for feature
freeze, it might hit the distro really late and i would like to stay
with .35 here too.

the option of having a .38 package in the archive was solely for testing
purposes, not to build any images from it.
during an IRC discussion with the kernel team it turned out that we
would get a problem with package naming and they would have double
maintenance work. a suggestion was that we should serve the package from
a kernel team PPA instead.

ciao
    oli