Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

Jan, Sebastien s-jan at ti.com
Mon Feb 7 15:01:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 07:05 AM, Jan, Sebastien wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I have just prepared the (attached) kernel defconfig that builds against
>> the
>> current Ubuntu-natty master branch (80ff90a8a268 - Ubuntu-2.6.38-2.29).
>> With
>> the uImage generated, I can boot my pandaboard and have USB host +
>> ethernet
>> support (using mainline x-loader and u-boot).
>> (I have equivalent results since Linus mainline 2.6.38-rc3 version in
>> fact).
>>
>> Do you want me to generate a patch to add a new defconfig file to
>> arch/arm/configs? Or is it sufficient for you to create the first 2.6.38
>> omap4 package?
>>
>> Will you handle this new package with a new branch?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sebastien
>
> I think we'll continue to carry omap4 as a separate package, and therefore
> as a topic branch in the Natty git repo, currently ti-ompa4.
>
> I assume the attached defconfig does not provide for a GUI, right? Oliver
> says we need to at least have a GUI, otherwise the Live CD images don't work
> too well.

Right, the video outputs are not supported yet with this .38 kernel,
so we will need to have both packages available for some weeks (2.6.35
based with video support and 2.6.38), using the 2.6.35 one for the
natty images now, and can switch to .38 when with have some video
support with it.
The idea is to start providing a 2.6.38 kernel package now to enable
testing with it.