APPLIED: [CVE-2011-1576] core: Fix memory leak/corruption on VLAN GRO_DROP

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Wed Dec 7 16:46:43 UTC 2011

On 19.09.2011 16:12, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 09/19/2011 08:00 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> introduced by (2.6.30):
>>     5d0d9be8ef456afc6c3fb5f8aad06ef19b704b05
>>     gro: Move common completion code into helpers
>>
>> fixed upstream by (2.6.37):
>>     3701e51382a026cba10c60b03efabe534fba4ca4
>>     vlan: Centralize handling of hardware acceleration.
>>
>> The upstream fix avoids the problem by re-arranging some helper functions.
>> This minimal fix was picked from the RedHat source package. It matches the
>> way that the vlan code handled the cases before the merge.
>>
>> Natty and Oneiric have the upstream fix. Hardy does not even handle GRO.
>> So only fixes for Lucid and Maverick are required. The two versions for
>> lucid/fsl-imx51 and the rest only differ by a bit of sourrounding code.

Benjamin Poirier from SUSE had been looking at this one, too. And we had brief
discussion. While the simple fix we took from RedHat will likely work, it is not
really restoring a previous behavior as I had been thinking. This alternate
approach is now queued in 2.6.32.y and when that hits, we could revert the other
patch. And we likely would then want to do the same for all the combinations of
other places where the same patch has been added.

-Stefan