Parsing log files for test results

Marc Tardif marc.tardif at canonical.com
Mon Dec 5 22:29:44 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

After a user has been running a proposed kernel for a couple days, I would
like to parse the logs of the system to detect what parts of the kernel
might have been tested implicitly during that period. These results could
then be uploaded to Launchpad, with the consent of the user of course,
without having to actually run tests manually. [1]

First, I would like to consider suspending. I looked in /var/log/syslog
where I found strings that could be parsed to detect a successful wakeup
from suspend:

  kernel: [  137.402845] ACPI: Waking up from system sleep state S3

However, the problem is that syslog does not seem to contain the kernel
version to validate that the proposed kernel is effectively being tested.

So, I then discovered /var/log/pm-suspend.log which contained both the
kernel version and the result of resuming from suspend:

  Linux 200910-4253 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct...
  [snip]
  /var/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00kernel-change resume suspend: success.

Second, I would also like to consider the same for hibernating. I looked
at /var/log/pm-suspend.log which also seemed to contain the result of
thawing from hibernate:

  /var/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change thaw hibernate: success.

Would you say that these are reliable ways to detect that suspend and
hibernate were successful?

1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/certify-planning/+spec/hardware-p-cert-sru-community

--
Marc Tardif <marc.tardif at canonical.com>
Freenode: cr3, Jabber: cr3 at jabber.org
1024D/72679CAD 09A9 D871 F7C4 A18F AC08 674D 2B73 740C 7267 9CAD