[Kernel] Release Meeting 2011-12-02

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Dec 1 21:57:57 UTC 2011

Overall status is reported at the first link below.  Burn down for
Precise Alpha-2 is at the second link below.  Burndown for the cycle is
at the third link:

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Precise
 * http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-kernel-team-precise-alpha-2.html
 * http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-kernel-team.html

== What was done engineering wise? ==

This past week the Ubuntu kernel team uploaded the 3.2.0-2.5 kernel
which was included in the Alpha1 release.  We've followed that up with
the 3.2.0-2.6 upload immediately upon the archive unfreezing.  This
latest kernel contains patches to update the virtual flavor driver
inclusion list (LP:897795), fixup armhf builds, resolve Geode LX boot
failure (LP:892615), and enables CONFIG_PATA_MACIO=y to resolve MAC qemu
boot failures.  Please test on any kit that you have and provide any
feedback.

We have a large number of work items targeted for the Alpha2 release,
ie. 90 to be exact.  A third of them look to already be completed.

== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ==

I'd anticipate the upstream v3.2-rc4 kernel to land in the upcoming
weeks.  As usual, we'll rebase and upload when that happens.

The proposal to drop support for the i386 non-pae kernel is up for
discussion/decision at the next Tech Board meeting on Mon Dec 12 [1].
I'd recommend that any interested parties in this discussion to please
attend this meeting.  We will be sure to relay the resulting outcome
both here and to the ubuntu-devel/ubuntu-kernel mailing lists..

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TechnicalBoardAgenda

== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ==

Aside from the immediate bugs/issues we resolved this week, we're still
keeping an eye on the following bugs:

 * Bug:818830 - [Sandy Bridge] serious power regression from kernel 3.0.0-6 to 3.0.0-7 (rc6 disabled)
 * Bug:855124 - XRANDR operations very slow unless (phantom) HDMI1 disabled
 * Bug:753071 - Include DRM OMAP driver to have proper EDID detection
 * Bug:836250 - Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 poor networking
 * Bug:894070 - IOMMU error loop early in boot
 * Bug:894768 - Installation randomly fails with: File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/install_misc.py", line 621, in copy_file targetfh.write(buf) IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
 * Bug:898127 - system hangs and errors at /build/buildd/linux-3.2.0/arch/x86/kernel/apic/ipi.c:113 default_send_IPI_mask_logical+0xdc/0xf0()

== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items ==
None.

== Issues? ==
None.