Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 2011-08-23

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Aug 23 18:29:11 UTC 2011

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/08/23/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
<<BR>>
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 23 Aug, 2011|20110823 Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
For every arm flavour but natty/ti-omap4 an update should be on its way out. Mainly the updated kernels contain CVEs fixes.
Oneiric/ti-omap4: work continues on lp709245, found a patchset that should enable localtimers even in the nosmp case but it doesn't work out of the box, i'm debugging it ATM.

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs  ===
==== oneiric nominated bugs ====
  * 32 linux kernel bugs (up 12)
==== Ubuntu ubuntu-11.10-beta-1 bugs ====
  * 2 linux kernel bugs (up 2)
==== <series>-updates bugs ====
  * 0 oneiric linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
  * 18 natty linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
  * 3 maverick linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
  * 7 lucid linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
  * 0 hardy linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
=== Incoming Bugs ===
  * 132 oneiric bugs (up 16)
  * 1531 natty bugs (up 20)
  * 1091 maverick bugs (no change 0)
  * 957 lucid bugs (up 3)
  * 33 hardy bugs (no change 0)
=== Regressions ===
==== regression-update bugs ====
  * 0 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
  * 14 natty bugs (up 1)
  * 40 maverick bugs (no change 0)
  * 77 lucid bugs (down 1)
  * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-release bugs ====
  * 6 oneiric bugs (up 3)
  * 435 natty bugs (down 4)
  * 238 maverick bugs (no change 0)
  * 216 lucid bugs (up 1)
  * 2 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-proposed bugs ====
  * 1 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
  * 3 natty bugs (no change 0)
  * 1 maverick bugs (no change 0)
  * 1 lucid bugs (no change 0)
  * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)

===  Milestone Targeted Work Items ===
|| apw       || other-kernel-o-bug-handling         || 2 work items||
||           || other-kernel-o-version-and-flavours || 1 work item ||
||           || desktop-o-xorg-stakeholders-request || 2 work item ||
|| jjohansen || other-kernel-o-server-requirements  || 1 work item ||
|| ogasawara || other-kernel-o-config-review        || 2 work items||
|| ppisati   || other-kernel-o-ubuntu-delta-review  || 1 work item ||

We've been uploading some last minute bug fixes prior to the Beta Freeze on Thurs.  We uploaded the 3.0.0-9.13 Ubuntu kernel yesterday to fix a WARNING due to duplicate backlight registration, see LP 831542.  We've just now uploaded the 3.0.0-9.14 kernel
to make sure ECRYPT_FS=y, see LP 827197.  We intend for this to be the last upload prior to Beta Freeze and the 3.0.0-9.14 kernel will be the kernel that will ship with the Beta-1 release.
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/831542|Launchpad bug 831542 in linux (Ubuntu) "WARNING: cannot create duplicate filename intel_backlight" [Low,Fix released] ]]
  * [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/827197|Launchpad bug 827197 in linux (Ubuntu Oneiric) "/usr/bin/ecryptfs-setup-private fails with exit status 1 during install - User's home directory not encrypted" [High,Fix released] ]]
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
Also, some important dates to keep in mind are as follows:
  * Sept 1 - Beta 1 (~1 weeks)
  * Sept 15 - Kernel Freeze (~3 weeks)
  * Sept 22 - Beta 2 (~4 weeks)
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
We'll continue pull in bug fixes and follow upstream stable v3.0.x as we move towards release.  I'd also like to note that the P-series git repo was recently rebased it to v3.1-rc3.  It's available at git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-p.git master-next .

Currently open CVEs for each supported branch:
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
|| Package                                  || Open      ||
||                                          ||           ||
|| linux Hardy                              ||    7 (--) ||
|| linux Lucid                              ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux Maverick                           ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux Natty                              ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux Oneiric                            ||    2 (--) ||
|| linux-ec2 Lucid                          ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-fsl-imx51 Lucid                    ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Lucid                     ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Maverick                  ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Maverick                  ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Natty                     ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Oneiric                   ||    3 (+1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-maverick Lucid        ||    4 (+1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-natty Lucid           ||    4 (+1) ||
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
With the regressions on the master branches resolving we have now pulled the depenadant branches up to date pulling some 78 CVE fixes into those branches.  We have had a new CVE added since last week.

== Status of kernels ==

  This would normally be kernel testing week, but we are still finishing verifications
  for Lucid and Maverick due to extra time required to find and fix regressions in this
  cycle. In addition, another new regression was reported against Lucid.

  * [[http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/sru-report.html|Detailed Information Here]]

  Kernel status for each series is as follows:

=== Hardy ===
  * Released

=== Lucid ===
  * [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/828375|Lucid Tracking Bug]]
  * Awaiting verification
  * A new regression was reported, and a fix has probably be found. It requires
    another respin of the kernel, but verification can continue.
    [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/828550|Latest Lucid Regression]]

=== Maverick ===
  * [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/823306|Maverick Tracking Bug]]
  * Awaiting verification completion

=== Natty ===
  * Released

  Current Kernel versions are available here: http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/versions.html

=== Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
Nothing new this week
--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com