debdiff and bug 829566

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Sun Aug 21 18:26:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 02:39:26PM -0700, Joe Williams wrote:
>  I am running into a bug fixed with a couple of commits in 2.6.37 and started a ticket at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/829566 to get it included into 10.04 LTS.

Shoved this over to linux as its a kernel bug.

> jsalisbury suggested that I create a debdiff and could ask the list for assistance. The two commits that I believe are required are:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=28172739f0a276eb8d6ca917b3974c2edb036da3
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=12dcd86b75d571772512676ab301279952efc0b0

The commit ids are the most useful as we can then cherry-pick them
directly from upstream if appropriate.

> From what I can tell they should apply fairly cleanly. Any suggestions on building the debdiff and the likelihood of this being approved for an SRU?

These nominally are an issue with igb stats.  The biggest worry here is
the sheer size of the first commit.  This changes the stats infrastructure
for the whole of net from what I can see.  Bigger changes like this are
harder to justify.

Perhaps you could explain the issue as it affects you.  There is little
on the problem in the bug.

-apw