new macbook air 4,2: trackpad support

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Wed Aug 3 22:14:14 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 06:38 AM, Joshua Dillon wrote:
> Hi all.  I am having trouble figuring out where to assign my bug to
> and haven't had luck figuring this out from the forums. Apologies if
> this isn't the best place to ask--I have no experience with brand-new
> hardware and am not quite sure how to proceed.  (Usually can find some
> kludge to get along but in this case I seem to have new-to-everyone
> hardware.)
>
> I have the new 2011 macbook air 13" ("MacBookAir4,2") and everything
> works out-of-the-box except for the 2nd gen sandybridge intel video
> (which has a bug filed by Robert Hooker; cf. postscript) and the
> multitouch trackpad.
>
> The trackpad works for moving mouse cursor and primary click but it
> doesn't register in the xorg log file as a multitouch device (hence no
> gestures or most importantly right-click).  I have inserted the most
> recent bcm5974 module and tried out two different xorg drivers
> "xf86-input-mtrack" and "xf86-input-multitouch" but I believe they
> need kernel support to work.
>
> I believe the bcm5974 driver is the likeliest candidate to provide
> support for this apparently new trackpad.
>
> Should I file a request that bcm5974 support the MacBookAir4,2
> trackpad?  Is there a more appropriate driver to file it against?

Your intuitions are correct :). This is likely an issue of bcm5974
needing to be updated for your trackpad. The best thing to do would be
to send an email to Henrik Rydberg <rydberg at euromail.se> and CC
linux-input at vger.kernel.org. Henrik is the maintainer of the driver, and
he can likely resolve this issue with little effort.

If you get the issue resolved, please forward patches here as well so we
can look into cherry-picking them for Ubuntu. Otherwise, Oneiric may
ship without support in the default kernel. The deadline for this is
fast approaching though, so no guarantees.

Thanks!

-- Chase