[Maverick] [ti-omap4] SRU: A workaround for highmem issue on OMAP4 platform

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 15:01:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 03:04:10AM -0300, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> > Will also test it with only one cpu to see if this could be realted with SMP
> > issues.
>
> Ok, tested the same kernel but running with only one CPU, for 40 hours (what gave me
> 15 builds), and went all fine, without any errors at both userspace and kernelspace.
>
> So it seems that this data abort exception could be related with concurrency and
> SMP support at our kernel.

Right.  So I'd suggest you keep highmem off, and 2g:2g on (with the
VMALLOC_END fix), then try to reliably reproduce the issue with that
configuration and fix it before involving highmem again.  While highmem
may make the problem more visible, it also brings a set of added
complexity of its own which would make the tracking of the issue much
harder.

Nicolas