Cross compilation for ARM

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Wed Sep 8 13:56:58 UTC 2010

On 09/08/2010 07:49 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On 10 Sep 08, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> On 09/08/2010 06:21 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:
>>> Hi Kernel team,
>>>
>>> In case you haven't done so already, consider using the Linaro
>>> cross-toolchain for your ARM work.
>>>
>>> I've blogged a howto here:
>>> http://idlethread.blogspot.com/2010/09/cross-compilation-redux.html
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Amit
>>>

>> Amit - there are some errors in your recipe:
>>
>> Add ".list" to the name of the PPA reference:
>>
>> echo "deb http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/
>> ./" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cross-compile.list
>
> Fixed.
>
>> Looks like you misspelled libcloop (i.e., libcloog) when describing
>> the directions for Lucid.
>
> That bit is correct. I later found another wiki page describing the process:
> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain/CrossCompilerOnLucid
>
> But there is a problem with the 'debuild' command. It'll fail with complaints
> of libelf/libdw missing.
>
> I'll cook up a command with dpkg-cross when I get a chance.

Actually, it really is 'cloog'. I just didn't search Maverick sufficiently.

The basic binary flavour cross compile works OK, but I'm having some
issues with compiling perf as well as some complaints about foreign
arches in deb descriptions, e.g., "dh_gencontrol: dpkg-gencontrol
-plinux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4 -ldebian/changelog
-Tdebian/linux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4.substvars
-Pdebian/linux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4 returned exit code 255".

On the other hand, compiling the binary flavours goes _really_ fast,
which is nice. I'll send out a note once I have it all figured out.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com