ANN: Lucid LTS kernel backport from Maverick

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Wed Oct 13 15:36:43 UTC 2010

This email announces availability in lucid-proposed of the first of the
Lucid LTS backported kernels.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Specs/KernelMaverickNewKernelOnLTS

The associated source package names are:

linux-lts-backport-maverick
linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick

The meta package binaries that are used to track the various kernel
flavours are:

linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-maverick
linux-headers-server-lts-backport-maverick
linux-headers-virtual-lts-backport-maverick
linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick
linux-image-server-lts-backport-maverick
linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-maverick

While the primary incentive for the backport effort has been server
enablement, the desktop flavours will work but your mileage may vary.
I've successfully used -generic- on both nVidia and Intel graphics GPUs
in 2D mode. That being said, any bug reports against the desktop
flavours will be marked 'Wont Fix'. There is simply too much skew
between Maverick DRM and Lucid X server drivers.

Many thanks to those of you who have been following development of the
backports via the kernel-ppa. Those packages have now been deleted.
Depending on the meta package name you chose during development, you may
have to choose a new meta package from the list above as I've simplified
the meta and kernel binary package relationships.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com