LIRC 0.8.7 Fixes for Maverick

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 13:27:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:23:06AM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 12:09 AM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > Leann:

> >> merged
> >>
> >> So... There's a fair amount of additional ir-core stuff I'd suggest
> >> bringing in at some point. I've already pointed Mario at this, and been
> >> discussing them with him and other mythbuntu devs on irc.
> >>
> >> http://people.redhat.com/~jwilson/misc/ir-core-2.6.35/
> >>
> >> I believe the above four already committed commits map to:
> >>
> >> lirc-staging-2.6.36.patch
> >> linux-2.6-v4l-dvb-ir-core-update.patch
> >> linux-2.6-v4l-dvb-ir-core-memleak-fixes.patch
> >> linux-2.6-v4l-dvb-ir-core-streamzap.patch
> >>
> >> I've since tacked on a few more patches in the Fedora 14 kernels:
> >>
> >> linux-2.6-v4l-dvb-ir-core-update-2.patch
> >> linux-2.6-v4l-dvb-ir-core-update-3.patch
> >> linux-2.6-lirc-ioctl-compat-fixups.patch
> >>
> >> Most of these are in the linuxtv media_tree/staging/v2.6.37 branch, but a
> >> few are still pending merge by Mauro. I've included commit IDs and log
> >> messages for the relevant commits in the patches themselves.
> >>
> >> Highlights of these updates include:
> >> - proper auto-config of another imon 0xffdc device
> >> - imon key release fixups (was possible for keys to get stuck down)
> >> - lirc_ene0100 replaced with ene_ir (ported to ir-core)
> >> - new nuvoton (ASRock ION 330HT) ir driver
> >> - lirc compat ioctl fixups so 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userspace works
> >>
> >> Please consider merging these patches as well.
> >>
> >> Thanks much,
> >>
> > There are some bugs starting to crop up from all the upgraders that didn't
> > test during development mainly with i2c and imon remotes.  it would be good
> > to try to help some of them.  If you think they're not good candidates for
> > SRU's, would you be open to an LBM for ir-core?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Just as a note, I am currently working on a lbm-input which starts adding a
> newer wacom driver (drivers/input/tablet). Would ir be thematically close to
> input? I could think that it has value to be separated but wanted to bring it up
> so we do not find out too late and we would have wanted to join the things.

Technically, it does at least mostly fit (though some transceivers also do
output), but I'd not merge them together. Lots of users are still slightly
baffled by remotes that appear as pure input devices, so I'd wager they
wouldn't look for newer remote drivers in a -input package. I'd probably
go with something along the lines of lbm-remotes (even though technically,
the driver is for the receiver/transmitter/transceiver hardware, not
actually for the remote itself...).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com