Kernel Oops Reports

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 1 14:35:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 08:41:43AM +0100, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 03:15:47PM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> > With the end goal of trying to consolidate some of the duplicate Oops
> > reports I've been poking at Oops bugs some and haven written a few
> > scripts for finding the tops Oops reports for example 23 Oops'es are
> > about:
> >
> > WARNING: at
> > /build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c:235
> > radeon_fence_wait
> >
> > Talking with Brad about this he indicated that finding out the hardware
> > involved with this bug reports would be quite useful.  So I've something
> > like this[1] now:
> >
> > WARNING: at
> > /build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c:235
> >
> > This device: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
> > [1002:95c4] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> >         LP: #642088 is New, has 0 dupes
> >         LP: #620052 is New, has 0 dupes
> >
> > With my limited kernel knowledge I'd guess bug 642088 and bug 620052 are
> > duplicates.  However, not being a kernel developer I'd like input as to
> > what other properties of the bugs should be checked to ensure that they
> > are in fact duplicates.  Alternatively, what type of report would you
> > like to have to facilitate your consolidation of likely duplicate
> > Oops'es.
> >
> > [1] The full output of warning results for that Oops is attached
>
> Well that report is pretty handy, perhaps we could use something like
> that to feed into our weekly review.  As a general form it looks handy
> to me as a consumer, obviously for other types of oops we need different
> types of hardware information.  It might make sense to generalise the
> report so it brings base system information and graphics information.

I was thinking of creating some sort of relationship between the path
mentioned in the Oops and hardware.  For example drivers/gpu would map
to video card(s).

Would hardware information be necessary for a warning like:

WARNING: at /build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/ubuntu/aufs/plink.c:332
au_plink_append

or

WARNING: at
/build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:1005
read_measured_perf_ctrs

> JFo, perhaps we should try reviewing a couple of these monday.

If the answer to the above question is no then perhaps reviewing a
collection of the bug reports related to either of the above Oops'es
would be more productive.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master