Ubuntu ARM and the linaro kernels

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 15 19:06:58 UTC 2010

Am Montag, den 15.11.2010, 12:58 -0600 schrieb Manoj Iyer:
> ogra,
>
> Did you see the mail to kernel mailing list where someone wanted to
> add DVB drivers ( http://www.tevii.com) to our tree?, Realtek is
> another example. The issue with such drivers can be that they are not
> upstream or in beta, but are unsupported. Unless we have a commitment
> from the driver developers that they are willing to support these
> drivers I don't think we can add them to our tree safely.  Not sure if
> you guys have thought about such a situation.

this was indeed just an example ... you can replace "DVB-T USB stick"
with "soundblaster play", "PTP camera XYZ", etc... what we care about in
the arm team is that our kernel is as close to the -generic kernel as
possible so that all peripherials which work on x86 also work in the
same quality on our arm images (as long as there is a way to attach them
physically), what we care about in ubuntu-arm are mainly endusers,
thats what i wanted to point out with my example.

ciao
	oli