What to do about drm when 2.6.33 stable queue ceases

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu May 27 13:02:26 UTC 2010

On 05/27/2010 02:38 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 14:18 +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> On 05/27/2010 04:18 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>>> I was reading LWN when I noticed that there is likely to be only one
>>> more 2.6.33 stable release. What are our plans for the drm stack after
>>> that? The rest of the kernel will be maintained through the long term
>>> 2.6.32 stable releases. Should we be monitoring the drm changes there
>>> and try to forward port fixes to our 10.04 LTS kernels?
>>>
>>> -- Chase
>>>

>> My plan is to take drm patches from .34.y and onwards and see how long this
>> reasonably works. Looking at 2.6.32.y makes imo no sense.
>
> I thought one reason we went to .33 drm is the difficulty in backporting
> graphics fixes. I would be afraid that the .34 stable fixes won't apply,
> but I guess there's probably the same amount of delta between .34
> and .33 as there is from .32 to .33.

Yes. there might be the time when the upstream tree has so much diverged that it
is impossible to take things from there. That might be the point were we/I only
can use patches specifically crafted for the .33 tree. Or are stuck with whats
there as soon as the answer for fixes on .33 is the same as we got for .32.

-Stefan