Clone out a specific kernel version for ubuntu karmic

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue May 4 08:53:50 UTC 2010

saravanan T wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to checkout the Ubuntu karmic kernel version 2.6.28. How can I just
> check out this version based on the tag.
> I just know the basis of git and I also did few google searches. Many of
> them talk about clone the repository, then checking out the
> tag. Please do help me on this,since I cannot download the entire
> repo(>500mb) as my connection is slow.
>
> *Command :* git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git  -
> takes out the full repository
> *tried git clone:* --reference linux-2.6.28 git://
> kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git (not working, this reference does
> not seem to work)

I am a bit confused by the kernel version you mention and also mentioning
Karmic. The Karmic kernel is 2.6.31 based while 2.6.28 would be a Jaunty kernel.
Generally, when working with the kernel, you probably should spend a one-time
effort and try to clone the upstream git repo of Linus (this is the only one
that will make sense for using as --reference).

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

After this, you can clone from the Ubuntu repositories

git clone --reference <path to your linux-2.6 tree>
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git

(or replace karmic with jaunty for 2.6.28 based release). This will
significantly reduce the amount of data on disk as well as copied over the network.

-Stefan