Built-in modules review

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 17 18:31:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:08 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> Filesystems: we currently have all of the ext2,3,4 filesystems builtin,
> plus all of the diagnostics filesystems (procfs et al), and also fuse.
> Other than FUSE these are all boot essential.  I believe FUSE is
> required for automounting which needs confirmation.  No changes
> required.

FUSE is built-in because we have no way of loading it
otherwise; /dev/fuse would not exist without the module loaded, and fuse
is generally used by user processes which don't have permission to
modprobe.

> ATA Drivers: we have the majority of the PATA and SATA drivers built in.
> We already have reported issues with the PATA drivers where blacklisting
> could be used as a work around if they were not built in.  We are also
> exposing users to some level of risk including all these drivers which
> are not used.  In testing on the reference platform I did see a minor
> but measurable performance hit to modularising the SATA driver there.
> As we are moving to SATA over time I would propose we pull out all of
> the PATA drivers and build in only the 2 or 3 most common SATA drivers.

I think we did this given the idea we could skip the initramfs; we went
down a different path and optimised the initramfs instead.

I think only the most common SATA driver or two is needed here.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com