Built-in modules review

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Wed Mar 17 14:08:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 11:51 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:08:38PM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>
> > ATA Drivers: we have the majority of the PATA and SATA drivers built in.
> > We already have reported issues with the PATA drivers where blacklisting
> > could be used as a work around if they were not built in.  We are also
> > exposing users to some level of risk including all these drivers which
> > are not used.  In testing on the reference platform I did see a minor
> > but measurable performance hit to modularising the SATA driver there.
> > As we are moving to SATA over time I would propose we pull out all of
> > the PATA drivers and build in only the 2 or 3 most common SATA drivers.
>
> Brad, can the data collection you have been doing over our linux bugs
> give us any insight into which drivers are most commonly used, or at
> least which physical h/w is most common?

I have data for drivers most commonly used [1], but I admit it's a bit
dated (last updated Dec 2009).  The data is from all hw profiles
submitted to Launchpad.  Just sort the "# Driver Owners" column by
clicking on the column header.

Leann

[1] http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/hwdb/driver-stats.html