Built-in modules review

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Tue Mar 16 18:38:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Andy Whitcroft <apw at canonical.com> wrote:
> What I am trying to say is that there is a cost for not building them in,
> but there is also a cost for building them in.  The cost for 'not' is a
> very small boot penalty, the cost 'for' is the flexibility for us to configure, update,
> and replace drivers on an ongoing basis.

So is this small boot penalty something we really need to avoid in the
most popular hardware? If it's very small, why not make them all
dynamic?

If this decision has been made with careful consideration of the
weighting of boot speed vs flexibility, then I'm satisfied. I just
want to be sure we don't encounter the exact same problem we are
having the the pata drivers in the name of a few milliseconds.

-- Chase