[RFC]: please review once again, crda + wireless-regdb

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:12:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Kel Modderman <kel at otaku42.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> crda:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/crda/crda_1.1.1-1.dsc
> svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-wpa/crda/trunk
>
> Changes since last review:
> * packaged independently
> * contains patch (sent already for discussion) which ensures that runtime
>  verification always works when new wireless-regdb package is upgraded (thus
>  installing a new pubkey)
>
> wireless-regdb:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/w/wireless-regdb/wireless-regdb_2009.11.25-1.dsc
> svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-wpa/wireless-regdb/trunk
>
> Changes since last review:
> * packaged independently
> * regulatory.bin is always generated, a one time key is always generated. I do
>  not like the idea of installing the prebuilt regulatory.bin binary _at_all_.
>  This makes things simpler (eg, no need to workaround binary-includes) and
>  safer (no assumption needs to be made about integrity of John's system which
>  built and signed binary, modifications to db.txt always take effect)
>
> If the review of patch + packages is positive will go forward with the ITP
> red-tape (and add these to changelog of each package) and wishlist bug for
> Linux source package maintained by debian-kernel for
> CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY to be unset and to recommend/suggest crda.

Sorry just this right now, my gmail filters are new and didn't pick up
on this until now. Will take a closer look tomorrow in the morning but
one comment so far. I see you have managed to split up the packages,
Ubuntu currently ships just one package. Since I take it is ideal for
Ubuntu/Debian to ship the same package will Debian's have to replace
Ubuntu's? If so I think this is possible if both packages supersede
the Ubuntu wirleess-crda package, I forget the keyword used on
debian/control for that.

Tim, is it too late to make any changes for Lucid? Debian will be
shiping 2.6.32, would be nice if Debian's package was synched with
Ubuntu for both releases on 2.6.32.

  Luis