Secret diaries of a suspend/resume debugger

Daniel J Blueman daniel.blueman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:58:58 UTC 2010

Hi Lee,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Lee Jones <lee.jones at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  LP Bug #569882
>    Suspend Lenovo Thinkpad X61 with card in SD card reader
>
> I've been working on this bug on and off for ~4 weeks now. As it's taken so long, I felt obliged to write a few words detailing the processes and methods used to debug this most horrific bug. The problem occurs when a laptop with an internal SD card reader is put to sleep (suspend or hibernate) when a card is inserted and mounted. Yesterday I discovered that this bug only affects cards which support an ext2 or ext4 filesystem (vfat and ext3 filesystems do not succumb).
>
> This bug and others relating to it have been reported to Ubuntu over 130 times and ~20 bugs are related. A couple of those have an importance rating of 'High'. Annoyingly, while I was working on this bug someone marked it as a duplicate of LP Bug #477106, so I hopped over and used that as the reference bug instead. It is there you can see the true range of this bug and where all other related bugs point. A list of related bugs can be found at the bottom of this page.
>
>  LP Bug #477106
>    [regression] lucid alpha-2 and earlier freeze upon suspend with sd card plugged in with some hardware
>
> The first debugging phase was to decipher which device was causing the issue. As the most common factor, I decided the best course of action was to hunt down the offending SD/MMC card reader driver and disable it. An 'lsmod' informed me that the sdhci and sdhci_pci drivers were in current operation. I 'rmmod'ed them and attempted to sleep - good night ThinkPad. I had a dig around in the Power Management Utilities (pm-utils) and found the variable SUSPEND_MODULES which is sourced from the pm configs. I posted this on the bug report which seemed to please most:
>
>  Momentary workaround:
>    echo "SUSPEND_MODULES=\"sdhci sdhci_pci\"" | sudo tee -a /etc/pm/config.d/suspend_modules
>
> Naturally, we'd like this bug to be eradicated forever and for Ubuntu to work seamlessly 'out-of-the-box'. So I endeavored to find a more permanent solution within the kernel. After turning turning debug on within the sdhci driver and adding a few of my own DBGs, it was apparent that the system was coming to a screaming halt within the interrupt handler. My initial theory was that the SD card was being accessed following a full filesystem sync and free, thus causing a kernel oops or panic before the system could be fully suspended. I placed in some extra debug code to try and follow the thread of execution, but further attempts were seemingly futile.

> [...]

Good story and a superb writeup.

I've been using a USB debug device for console access via the EHCI
debug port on legacy-free systems, and I wonder if it would prove more
useful than the USB-serial mechanism in this case...

It's quite handy now that support is enabled in the Maverick kernel
(or should be by now), but it's a shame in that USB debug devices seem
hard to find, particularly outside the US.

Dan
--
Daniel J Blueman