[RFC] [Maverick] UBUNTU: SAUCE: pm: Config option to disable handling of console during suspend/resume

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Wed Jun 16 23:14:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 23:40 +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
> >> I think PM is in a lot better shape than 2 years ago. I'd forgotten about it.
> >> Drop it.
>
> Again, personally I'd like to keep it for use as a debugging tool.
>
> It has served me well over the last few weeks.
>
> By all means turn it off by default, but I'd like to keep it for future use if possible.

Even if we do keep it but disable by default, not to mention I'd add to
to the config enforcer, you'll still have to modify the config and build
a custom kernel to enable it.  In that sense it seems it wouldn't be
that much more effort to apply the patch at the same time.

By dropping it we avoid having old cruft in the distro kernel which
deviates us from mainline and knowingly breaks suspend/resume for some
users.  It also has the potential to add a maintenance burden every time
we rebase and definitely adds additional bloat when we do our delta
review at the beginning of each release cycle.

Give me till tomorrow to ponder over it more.  I'd be happy to hear
anyone else's feedback as well.

Thanks,
Leann