[Ubuntu Wiki] Update of "Kernel/Dev/HowtoReviewPullRequests" by brad-figg

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at canonical.com
Fri Jun 11 20:09:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Henrik Rydberg wrote:

> > I don't necessarily agree that "rebase" is always the good thing to do.
> > Sometimes it is but not always.
>
> For patch contributors, I would argue that a rebase from a feature branch or a
> merge of the feature branch from a clean master branch are your only options,
> wouldn't you say?

Yes.  You should preferably develop your patches on top of a clean base,
and rebase it as you move along with progress happening on that base.
But some patchsets are large enough that it is sometimes best not to
rebase them so not to invalidate the testing that was done on them, as
rebasing is basically changing the testing conditions i.e. the
underlying base code.

> For a patch collector, merge is of course more appropriate.

Definitely.  But in neither cases should "reset --hard" considered a
standard operation.

Nicolas